Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Who Are Ya!! - Annette Luke

Where were you born? 
I was born in Independence, MO.  I have lived in Blue Springs, MO, most of my life.


What team(s) do you support as a fan?
Of course, I support the KC Wizards/Sporting KC. 


What is your earliest soccer memory? 
My earliest soccer memory does not involve me as a player but as a spectator.  I became interested in soccer when I was forced to watch my younger brother play in recreational leagues as we were growing up.  My dad coached his team for several years.  I was even his “assistant coach” a few times.  Finally, when I was 15, I started playing myself. 


How did you find the Youngs Park game?
Troy invited me to the game.  At the time, I was playing with him on an indoor team at the KC Soccerdome.


Can you tell us something about yourself that not everyone in the group would know?
I am going to tell you the rest of the story about how/why I started playing soccer.  Like I said before, I watched my brother play as we were growing up.  During that time, I was a gymnast aspiring to become an Olympic medalist.  In early spring a few months before I turned 16, I finally went to the doctor about my nagging back pain.  The doctor gave me devastating news.  He told me I needed to quit gymnastics or live with back pain for the rest of my life.  After a great deal of soul-searching, I admitted that it was very unlikely that I would ever be good enough to get to the Olympics.  So, I decided to try playing soccer.  My first experience was that spring in a recreational church league in Independence.  That fall, as a sophomore, I tried out for the boys’ soccer team at Blue Springs High School.  (A girls’ team did not exist at my high school at that time.)  That was an extremely rough but very beneficial experience!  However, I did make the “C” team.  Even though I knew I had made the team only because I was a girl, I was very excited!  I was certain I would learn the game much more quickly in that setting.  My love for soccer grew from that experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers