Friday, January 21, 2011

Who Are Ya!! - Eddie Villegas

Where were you born?
Born and raised in KC. But I grew up spending our summers in Mexico visiting family.


What team(s) do you support as a fan?
I grew up a Mexico and Guadalajara Chivas fan. I also support US Soccer and I'm torn when USA plays Mexico. But I always seem to pull for Mexico, my dad and my uncles just burned it into my brain. I'm also a huge fan of Barcelona and their style of football.


What is your earliest soccer memory?
I don't remember how old I was but in my first soccer game ever, back when All American was on Bannister Rd, I was kicked in the face with the ball on my very first play. I remember how bad it hurt but somehow it didn't turn me away from the sport. 


How did you find the Youngs Park game?
Alicia McGarry and I used to work together. As I got to know her and Gage, they invited me to play one weekend. It was nice to see a group of people committed to playing every week. Its because of this, Gage, Gonzalo and I started playing together and formed a team called Youngs Park with several guys from the group. We competed in Jackson County League and finished 4-4. But in our second season together we went 8-0. The face of the team has changed over the years but Youngs Park now competes in Wyandotte County, working our way from Div. 2 to Division 1. From 2007-2010 we have made the playoffs each season and finished as high as 2nd in the tournament and first with overall points. Today, no one on the roster is from Youngs Park but the name of where lasting friendships began still carries on.


Can you tell us something about yourself that not everyone in the group would know?
After college I had high hopes to further my soccer career but I blew out my knee playing hoops just before the quarter-finals of a major tournament. It required reconstructive surgery and about a full year of training before I could be fit enough to play again. Then a few years later, I tore up the same knee again in a soccer match. More surgery. More rehab. I haven't been the same since but I'm fortunate enough to play the sport I love for fun for as long as these legs will carry me. Thanks to the individuals who make the Youngs Park game possible year-round!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers