Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Who Are Ya!! - Scott Watson

Where were you born?
I was born in Newton, KS, but spent the majority of my childhood in Wichita, KS.


If you were not born in the Kansas City area, when did you arrive and what circumstances brought you to KC?
I went to college at Missouri Southern in Joplin on a soccer scholarship. Many of my good friends and teammates at MoSo were from the KC area. After a short stint back in Wichita post graduation, I moved up to the KC area and went on the job hunt. I believe this was around 1991. The rest is history, and I have lived in the KC metro ever since.


What team(s) do you support as a fan?
Like Troy, I have supported the Wiz/Wizards/Sporting since the first season as a season ticket holder. Very excited about the new stadium!! I also like to follow the EPL ever since Time Warner added Fox Soccer Channel years ago. I really don't have one specific team I follow, but love to root for the underdogs to stay up in the Premiership. In recent history I pulled for Fulham since they employed several Americans. This current season I have sort of hitched my wagon to Blackpool, and would like to see them succeed. Historically I always liked Newcastle for a couple reasons: 1. Good Beer. 2. My 1st over 30 team went by the same name. Glad to see they worked their way back up to the top division. Non soccer related teams: Kansas Jayhawks, KC Chiefs, KC Royals, Boston-Red Sox -Celtics-Bruins-& NE Patriots (I will explain my Boston allegiance in the next section)


What is your earliest soccer memory?
As I mentioned earlier, the majority of my childhood was spent in Wichita. My stepdad at the time was in the Air Force stationed in Wichita. During my 1st grade year we were transferred to Hanscom Air Force Base in Bedford, MA. I lived in Mass for 3 years (1st -3rd grades). Although only in the area for 3 short years it made a big impact on my life, as this is where I discovered the beautiful game! Also where I experienced my first visits to professional sports venues (thus, I have always had an allegiance to the Boston area teams). My 1st love in sports was baseball, as my dad had me in a uniform, mitt, with bat and ball at the ripe ol' age of two! But then I discoved soccer in 1st grade. My mom was looking for an activity for me to get involved in upon our move so I could meet some new friends. She signed me up for soccer, and I took to it immediately. I went to my first practice and a ball was kicked in my direction, it was love at first touch of the ball. I just started kicking it around like a madman. I was very fortunate that soccer had found it's way to the midwest when I moved back to Wichita in the 4th grade. That year I joined the world famous "Purple People Eaters" of the Wichita AYSO league coached by my friends dad. Soccer soon consumed my life and became my year round focus starting around junior high. I no longer had time to play any other sports competitively, including baseball, my 1st love. All the time spent on soccer paid off as it helped pay for my college education, and also introduced me to life long friends.


How did you find the Youngs Park game?
Luckily my wife Stephanie works at the same company as Troy. Years ago around it's inception, my wife told me about a pickup game her friend at worked played in at a park located at 77th & Antioch. I think she was just trying to get me out of the house, but it worked out good for me. This was very convenient, as my house is on 79th St, just west of Antioch. So I show up one Saturday morn, and just kept going back. Some games back then were very thin (3v3, 4v4), but we always had a great time regardless of numbers. In recent years due to injuries(old age),my daughters activities, & other family obligations, I have not been able to play as consistently as I would like. However, I know the game will always be there for me when I can make it. Thanks to the founders and die hards like Troy & Tom.


Can you tell us something about yourself that not everyone in the group would know?
Although soccer is my main passion, I love almost any sport or competition. I really love playing basketball and had thoughts of pursuing that when I was younger. However in junior high I think the coach squelched any NBA aspirations I may have had when he told me this. "You have two things going against you, FEET!!". He wasn't talking about my footwork (as I was rather quick and coordinated), but rather my unique stature. Although painful at the time, it was probably something I needed to hear. I think I have taken up enough of your time, thanks for getting to know me better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers