Saturday, January 29, 2011

Who Are Ya!! - Brian Werner

Where were you born?
St. Louis, MO. I lived about 2 miles from "the Hill" where a number of US soccer greats from way back hailed from (and the non soccer great: Yogi Berra).  Apparently not close enough to pick up some ball handling skills.


If you were not born in the Kansas City area, when did you arrive and what circumstances brought you to KC?
I came to Kansas City in August of 2009 for grad school. I'm a second year PhD student in economics at UMKC.


What team(s) do you support as a fan?
I grew up in St. Louis, which despite being a big soccer town doesn't have a pro team. For a while we went to a lot of indoor games watching the St. Louis Ambush(not around anymore), but definitely watched a lot more of Cardinals baseball.


What is your earliest soccer memory?
All of grade school soccer is kind of one big blur of running around somewhat aimlessly in the cold and mud, orange wedges, and usually losing the game.


How did you find the Youngs Park game?
I met Bill Black at an orientation event at pizza 51and jumped on the chance to play.


Can you tell us something about yourself that not everyone in the group would know?
I would say that my highest level achievement in soccer was playing in pickup games during a cherry picking stint in New Zealand with a few guys who were rumored to be on the national team of the country of Vanuatu.



Ultimate frisbee is actually my primary sport. I play ultimate most of the year including traveling to tournaments in nearby states. I play a lot of music too. I sing in the choir at UMKC and play guitar, mandolin, and accordion and other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers