Sunday, February 13, 2011

Who Are Ya!! - Bill Lepentis

Where were you born?
Sydney, Australia


If you were not born in the Kansas City area, when did you arrive and what circumstances brought you to KC?
My parents immigrated to Australia from Greece after the Greek Civil War. Around 1974, my mother’s kid brother passed-away while we were visiting Greece. Actually, my parents were considering moving the family back there, but the death obviously shook my mother enough to stop the process and we decided to stay in Australia. Sixth months later, my mother’s close cousin also passed away. My mother had another brother living in KC and in 1976, we decided to move here to be closer to his family. This must have done the trick because we’ve lived here ever since. I haven’t ventured far; only to The University of Kansas for school. My parents eventually retired and moved to Chicago.


What team(s) do you support as a fan?
Arsenal FC (as a fanatic)
AEK Athens (as a religion)
Greek MNT (as a rite-of-passage)
+
Sydney Roosters (Rugby League Club)


What is your earliest soccer memory?
We won our division in Sydney when I was seven and a few months later, moved to KC. My parents had some Greek friends who were affiliated with the Roeland Park (Kansas) Soccer Club, and enrolled me into one of the youth clubs. I’ve been playing organized and pick-up ever since including a semester of “club” at The University of Kansas.


How did you find the Youngs Park Game?
I walked-on the Loose Park Wednesday night game and made a few friends. One of them was Johnny “ONE MORE” Vazquez. He mentioned that a few of the Loose Park crew played Saturdays at Young’s Park. That’s when my park-league skills really excelled.


Can you tell us something about yourself that not everyone in the group will know?
I was one of “The Best In Soccer” as picked by local metro coaches for 1986-1987 season. That obviously took me places…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers