Friday, February 25, 2011

Who Are Ya!! - Nyk Edinger

Where were you born?
I was born in Bismarck, North Dakota and grew up across the Missouri River in Mandan, ND. (Sorry Troy but your answer was so well worded!)


If you were not born in the Kansas City area, when did you arrive and what circumstances brought you to KC?
I arrived in Olathe, Kansas in August of 1987 to play soccer for MidAmerica Nazarene University.  We played one season. I started on the bench but after an injury to our starting keeper I started as keeper for several matches until I, too, was put on crutches and finished the season watching from the sidelines. They cut the team the following summer.


What team(s) do you support as a fan?
I have supported the Wizards/Sporting since the day we heard there was a possibility of their existence.  I attended the opening match at Arrowhead and had attended most home matches until I moved back to North Dakota in 2004 and have attended at least 1 match each year since I left. I also support Hannover 96, Die Roten!!, in the Bundesliga.


What is your earliest soccer memory?
The day I learned of its existence.  I transferred to a private school in Mandan in 1981 (the same school as Troy) and the guys played this game called soccer at this school.  I never heard of it much less played it so I was stuck between the posts (probably two jackets or cones, I don't remember) and loved it! The following year I joined the team as an 8th grader and have played ever since.


How did you find the Youngs Park game?
Troy and I grew up together in North Dakota and both attended the same University in Olathe and both remained living in Olathe after College so one day we set out to find a place to kick the ball around outdoors on Saturday mornings and eventually decided upon Maple Hills Park. Some days it was just him and I in 4 inches of snow but eventually other great guys joined us and I am privileged to have met and shared the pitch with each of them!


Can you tell us something about yourself that not everyone in the group would know?
Most of you don't know me at all but for those that do, you might not know that I have been a vocalist in a death/black metal band since 1989 and am currently recording my 8th cd.

2 comments:

  1. I lived and played soccer in Grand Forks, ND for 3 years growing up! My parents went to UND; i am very familiar with the cold netherworld of ND :) --Meredith Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Grand Forks is the coldest place on the planet haha. I coached several matches there recently. One thing I miss about KC is playing year round. Can't do that here. Hopefully we will meet some day when I am visiting.

    ReplyDelete

Followers