Thursday, February 10, 2011

Who Are Ya!! - Jürgen Hoedel

Where were you born?
In a small town called Geislingen an der Steige in the south of Germany – it has the distinction of featuring the steepest railroad grade of any major railway line in Europe. The same steep grade prompted some robber baron to build a fortress about a thousand years ago in order to extract money from travelers and wagon trains for safe passage. Today the German railway just charges exorbitant ticket prices for the same privilege.


If you were not born in the Kansas City area, when did you arrive and what circumstances brought you to KC?
I went to KU as a grad student (they actually paid me to go to school – go figure) where I met my wife. After living with her in Germany for ten years nobody was any longer willing to extend us any credit – that’s why we moved here in 1996. Oh, she was also tired of the weather in Central Europe and the unfriendly attitude of my compatriots. Don’t know how my attitude slipped through the cracks for so long.


What team(s) do you support as a fan?
I am a stout (literally!) supporter of Bayern Munich and the German national team. I am also an avid fan of all teams in the US lingerie league.


What is your earliest soccer memory?
First of all, we don’t erroneously call it soccer where I come from. I guess it would be playing ‘Fussball’ with my uncle in the backyard. And then the legendary non-goal in the 1966 World Cup Final. We finally got even with the English last year.


How did you find the Youngs Park game?
I have GPS. No, I am an old teammate of Troy’s from back when he still used to show up for our Friday noon games at All-American, before he let work interfere with fun.


Can you tell us something about yourself that not everyone in the group would know?
I have a right foot so I don’t fall down when I kick with my left – no wait, everybody knows that. I guess it would be that in my case, the older I get, the better I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers