Monday, February 21, 2011

Who Are Ya!! - Tunde Ogunmekan

If you were not born in the Kansas City area, when did you arrive and what circumstances brought you to KC?
I was born in Lagos, Nigeria the capital, I came here in 1980 to join my parents who were ambassadors to the US, the family had travelled quite a bi at the time living in New Delhi in India, London in UK and Rabat in Morocco. When the opportunity came to visit here I figured I’d go to college then leave soon as I was done. Started a business in college, got naturalized ( my mum is citizen) and been here ever since.


What team(s) do you support as a fan?
As I kid I supported the Shooting Stars of Ibadan and The Green Eagles (later Super Eagles) of Nigeria, the best 11 team ever in all soccer was the team that was robbed of the chance to play in world cup because of internal politics, it featured the mathematician (Segun Odegbami) who would dribble on the line from the his own 30 yards all the way to opponents 18 then take a shot from a ridiculous angle and SCORE!! That’s why they called him the mathematician, from the goalie (Best Ogedengbe) to defender ( Pat Okpala) midfield (Muda Lawal) wingers (Adokiye Emeka) it stacked here is link from the African Cup of Nations :

http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/sports/57064-1980-anc-green-eagles-nostalgia.html


When a got older and politics started to dominate national team selection I became a staunch Chelsea fan, have been even though we SUCK right now.


What is your earliest soccer memory?
My earliest is the afore mentioned Cup of Nations with video link above, I was already a fan, that made me a foaming at the mouth frenzied, play with a broken bone fanatic of the game.


How did you find the Youngs Park game?
Atabong I believe invited me to my first game way back in the stone age 2005, its feels like such a long time now, I can bealy remember anymore. I do remember meeting Troy, Tom, Wasim, Johnny, Bill, Annette and Afam and saying what an eclectic and great group of guys. Many moons and haven step on someone’s toes about 20 times later, I think I’ve missed a total of 6 Saturday’s (other than weather or cancellations) since then.


Can you tell us something about yourself that not everyone in the group will know?
This might come as a shock to most but I’m black, I know! I Know! Imagine my surprise when a found out! And oh I love my Youngs Park family

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers